Tuesday 18 September 2012

Reading Reflection #2
Book: Lord of the Flies
Author: William Goulding
Pages Read: 32-49
          Dear Fellow Readers, I found that this second reading reflection was a lot more difficult than the first one was. This was mainly because in my first relfection, I had tons of predictions and questions since I was just starting out the book and, as most books do at the beginning, they try to make readers question whats going on to draw them in. It made me curious about a lot of the things that were going on. Although this second reflection was harder to find a lot of points to talk aobut (compared to my first piece of writing) I did manage  to find some good points that, I think, will eventually have great significance to the book as the story progresses. The first comment and prediction I have for this book happens on page 32 when some of the older boys, the leaders, cannot kill a pig they find while exploring the Island. Before actually killing the pig, the boys go into a state of fear and cannot bring themselves to "have the knife descending and cutting into living flesh; because of the unbearable blood." Then these boys go and talk about how tough they were, dealing with the pig. At this point I found irony in the fact that I knew the actual story behind what the boys went though, being that they were scared, meanwhile they are seen as brave and tough by the other boys in the Island. Then I read a part where the "leaders" announced to the group theat they're going to need hunters. If htye act so manly, why do they need younger boys to kill? I predict that these younger boys will, by killing the animals for food, lose compassionate and humane qualities. The group could very well turn into a group of blood thirsty and violent kids. They know they need to hunt for food out of hunger, I just think they will come at it with an unpleasant approach.
          One connection I made while reading, was that the group of boys and their situation reminded me of the Lost Boys from Peter Pan. Both groups are stuck on an Island by themselves and need to learn how to take care of each other. It was when I found many quotes throughout my reading about how the boys are relishing in the fact that they can do anything they want, no grown ups! Of course, in Peter pan you can see the boys desire for a mother and to be taken care of. This is why I think eventually the boys in Lord of the Flies will realize they can't properly care for themselves.
          One major question I had while reading was WHEN AND WHERE DOES THIS STORE TAKE PLACE IN. They don't mention anything about stand the boys use slang and dialect that is different from ours. At one point I read that their plane was shot down, and thats why they were stuck on the Island. Huh? So, I did some research at home and found that this book was published in the 50's, in the middle of an unknown nuclear war. Could this fact, that is not outwardly mentioned in the novel have  a double meaning? Also the boys are British, which makes A LOT more sense. However, the mix of young, older, and choir boys still doesn't make all too much sense...yet.
         One of the boys relates their stranded situation to books like Treasure Island, Swallows and Amazons, and Coral Island. I have never heard of two of these books so I want to read a brief summary on them to see what these boys are comparing their current experience to. Are the books they're describing tragic, happy, adventurous, etc.
         Another prediction I have is that Piggy will end up being the groups punching bag, not so much physically though. Already it seems as though the other boys hate him and are mean to him. Also, one of the younger boys keeps talking about a "beastie" he has seen, which was a big snake. None of the leaders really believe him, but the younger boys seem scared. I think, this snake really does exist, or at least the fear of it will, and it will drive some of the boys crazy in fear and curiosity if it really does exist. Another thing I noticed was that the boys have already forgotten their main rule: only the person who holds the conch gets to speak. I predict that this rule will die out very quickly, which means some of the other rules that are made may not be enforced for long either.
         In my first reflection I predicted that Piggy and Ralph would be friends, but now I don't think thats the case anymore. Ralph is very mean to Piggy and seems to have a friendship with some of the older choir boys, but maybe this will eventually change...
         One thing I like about this book so far is that it is generally easy to understand, the words are not kindergarten easy but its not like trying to get though a play by Shakespeare. However, there were a few words that I did not know, or slang from England that I was unfamiliar with. Such words include hiatus ("a break or interruption in the continuity of work") which I concluded really meant something like a pause. Also I came across the word dubiety which means doubtfulness, I doubt many people would know that. Since I found out the boys were from Britain I realized a lot of the slang and terms they used I had no idea what they actually meant...such as the wording plonking ("foolish/clumsy") and  then I read that one of the boys used the term "Its Wizard." I look this up, and it is the British slang for "superb, excellent or wonderful" and I found this very interesting because I had never heard this term used for that reason before.
        Overall, I found this reading reflection a bit more challenging to find good point to talk about. However, I did  manage to find a few that were of interest to me and helped with my understanding of the book. Sorry, sorry, sorry for all the reading you had to do if you finished this! I tend to ramble on about each little topic I bring up. I'm gonna have to work on that...hope you enjoyed this long read!


1 comment:

  1. Yowzer, that was a long reflection! Why did you slect this book to read? Why do you think people consider it a "classic"?

    ReplyDelete