Monday 22 October 2012

Weekly Reflection #6
Question #1
          I find this question very difficult to answer for a few reasons. The first is because...I have no idea what I want to do after high school. I know I for sure I want to go to university at some point, I'm just not entirely sure what I want to pursue as a career. I feel like I'm being pulled in so many directions. I should pursue the arts, but I'm really good in science. I should study business, but I would rather do humanitarian work. After high school I was also thinking of helping out overseas in some sort of program, like with Hope Development. The second reason I find this question rather diffucult to answer is becuase I honestly don't know if my blog is the best representation of myself. I don't mean that its unprofessional or that it shows a bad side of me, I just mean I don't think the little things I blog about or reflect on are really of great importance to a lot of the things I plan on doing after high school. Are my posts about my opinion on Lord of the Flies or my personal edition on me ranting about changes in my life really that significant? I don't know, maybe they are. For my entire life I've always worked incredibly hard in school so that my marks will help me get where I want to be after high school, so its just hard for me to think about something else that shows a side of me, other than the numbers I present, that reflect what kind of person I am. As of now, the best way I can think of using my blog to help acheive my goals after high school is to post things that relate to what things I want to do after high school to show my interests. I hope the blog will act as a resume for me that shows my personality, and not just my accomplishments.

Question #2

Comment #2
Comment #3
Question #3

            The first comment I left was on Tay's blog on a post about life's big question about truth. I left this comment because the post intrigued me a lot because not many people are able to actually sit down and write about such a big question for personal reasons. The second post I made was on Sam's blog. He made a visual of a pacman game and although it wasn't the best, I found it really interesting. He talked about how bad it was, which made me curious as to why he would post this. The third comment I made was on Jordan's blog one of her six word memoirs. This memoir stood out to me a lot and made me question whether there are good people in the world, and that we have to keep reassuring ourselves that we are in fact good people. Characteristics of a good comment include being helpful and insightful. You don't want to completely discourage the person from posting what interests them, so positive constructive comments help a lot! Like the comments we left today, it's great to start a conversation over a post that really gets the blogger thinking and reflecting on what they wrote. New perspectives are very important. This being said, a bad comment is something that is in fact unhelpful and pointless. For example, telling someone that they could flat out do better would be a bad comment. Its not constructive, its just criticism. Instead, they could say that a challenge would be good and how they could meet that challenge. Some benefits of commenting on other peoples blogs is that you get to, hopefully, contribute to their writing in the future and you can also acquire ideas of your own for your blog. You also get to start a conversation with someone you don't talk to much based on similar interests, so in a way, friendships are made. Some benefits of receiving comments on my blog is...well...they're awesome. It makes a blogger feel great when they get a comment because it shows that people took the time to look at their work and appreciate what they've posted, which means a lot! I know that for me, comments are almost like a challenge: they get you to think differently and reconsider the content of your post. 
           

1 comment:

  1. I find this statement "For my entire life I've always worked incredibly hard in school so that my marks will help me get where I want to be after high school, so its just hard for me to think about something else that shows a side of me, other than the numbers I present, that reflect what kind of person I am" a really accurate for many students, but also a sad reflection on the school system. Lets face it, once you graduate and go out into the "real world" (whatever that is)you don't have marks to determine your value. That needs to come from within. I don't think that there's enough of this internal reflection in high school. Sure marks have their place and purpose, but we need to teach students the other ways they can value and represent themselves in the world. Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now . . .

    ReplyDelete