Tuesday 2 October 2012

Writing Reflection #2

         All I have to say about this writing form and assignment is that I absolutely loved it. However, since this reflection must be about 200 words, here comes my rambling. I thought this project was so easy but not in a bad kindergarten boring kind of way. It was easy because I was so inspired to write these memoirs and since it incorporated art and visuals into it, that made it even easier for me since art is one of my biggest passions. I have always wanted to find a way to making a meaningful statement, and the fact that I was able to do that in six words really surprised me. On my blog I put up ten memoirs with images added and I also have over thirty written out on paper...so I think its safe to say I was a big fan of this assignment. What I liked best about this project was not the words and the visuals on their own, but I enjoyed finding a way to bring them together. With my "Six Word Memoir" already written, was able to use my creativity to find the best way to do the writing justice. In one case, I even found an image first that inspired me so I came up with a memoir that suited the picture the best. I found this assignment actually very fun because all the memoirs could be so different, it didn't have to be constant, and we had the oppourtunity to literally say or confess anything we want. The fact that the six words may not make sense to everyone completely, except the writer, brings mystery to it. When the memoirs were posted on flickr without a description underneath I was so curious as to what the stories behind the images and messages were. One thing I learned about myself throughout this process is that I can, when given the oppourtunity, really go in any direction I want to if I work at it. Some of my memoirs were sad and meaningful, others were funny (at least, they gave me a good laugh) and others were just powerful statements that I think more people, not just only myself, can relate to and make connections to with their own experience. Another thing I found really interesting about reading other peoples memoirs was that, their six words had an impact on me. Even if I didn't know their reasoning for writing it, from what was given I could make a connection to my own life. Since this project was really enjoyable and inspiring, I want to teach it to my dad's Grade 4 and 5 elementary school class. They are in a neighbourhood that is not as well off, and sometimes I go in on inservice days to do art with them or help with writing assignments. I would really like to do this with them sometime soon because even a simple statement or confession can be so powerful. This assignment gave me a huge confidence boost and I hope it will give them one too. The memoirs do not need big fancy words or a masterpiece of high quality art attached, just a message and a  meaningful representation. 

1 comment:

  1. Glad you enjoyed it! Please pay this assignment forward to your Dad's class. Take some pics if you can, I'd love to see them posted on your blog!

    ReplyDelete